Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Lonely in Loverna

Another place that I have always wanted to visit is Loverna. It is just over the border into Saskatchewan and has only a couple of residents left from what I understand. Census info from 2001 says 5 people live here, leaving it pretty close to earning ghost town status.

As with almost all prairie towns, Loverna came into existence in 1913 with the arrival of the railroad. To say the town boomed would be an understatement, several hundred people called Loverna home and there were several streets of thriving businesses. Today only a few buildings remain. There have been 2 fires over the decades that have destroyed many of the buildings. Markers placed along the streets tell what used to be there. There was hotels, a Chinese Laundry, Confectionery, Jewelry Store, Print Shop, Garages, Cafe, various other stores, hardware, insurance, gas station, churches, a Legion Hall, curling rink and more. It had everything! 

Today I snapped only a few pictures but definitely need more time to explore the rest of town, there was still quite a bit to see, including the curling rink which still exists. I think Spring might be a good time to go....no snow (hopefully) and before the bugs. Those are pretty much the 2 seasons.



Canadian Legion Hall

United Church


Anglican Church



Loverna elevators, now residing in Alberta on private property.

Date unknown (could probably guess based on the truck)
Photo from prairie-towns.com

25 comments:

  1. It's the old church that particularly catches my eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi William, there are 3 churches in town, I only saw the 2. Little country churches are eye catching. I have seen photos of the insides and both are well kept.

      Delete
    2. Yep, it seems to have aged the best at least

      Delete
    3. The 3rd church is on private land I read and is not in good condition. I don't recall seeing it when I was there.

      Delete
  2. The historical photos -- typical Saskatchewan -- not a tree in sight! No matter HOW small a prairie town gets, it seems there is ALWAYS a curling rink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra, it's true! Funnily enough, after we left this town we headed to another small town and there was a bonspiel going on.

      Delete
  3. Love the old photos. Such flat landscape, not unlike this island in places. Your photos are beautiful, as usual

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie...brings to mind the old joke, you can watch your dog run away for miles in Sask.

      Delete
  4. Great shots, Jenn. I love that yellow truck and the historical photos. In the last photo is that a body of water in the background. It looks like waves coming in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill...I see what you mean.. there are may lakes in Saskacthewan but as far as I know there are none near the town.

      Delete
  5. Love that last aerial shot as I can pick out the grain elevators.
    The United church building is pretty & I thought perhaps there was some new woodwork around the roof?
    Great old yellow truck too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine, yeah I was trying to pick out buildings in that photo too, I think I see the curling rink and maybe the legion, I am all turned around in the photo lol. The wood work is probably original, although the church is looked after so maybe it was a more recent addition or part of a refurbish.

      Delete
  6. It looks like an interesting place to explore. Lot of good photo ops there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andy, I could've spent hours there. I was just a passenger so I couldn't stay.

      Delete
  7. It must be fascinating to explore these deserted towns Jenn, I wonder what the population of five do there.. perhaps look after the churches. Would be a wee bit weird being one of five in an entire town. Super captures here, as always when you visit these towns you leave me wondering what happened!
    P.s. the sculptures go up for sale when the exhibition is over, quite often different town councils snap them up for public art. Some may be dismantled and go home with the artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PDP! Good question, up until a few years ago there was a mechanic that still operated there. It's likely older retired people left.
      Thanks for answering about the art, I hope they all get sold and go to places where people can see them all the time.

      Delete
  8. Did you see any people while you passed through? You got some great pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RedPat, We hardly saw another vehicle the whole time, until we stopped at a bonspiel in another town....that where everyone was lol.

      Delete
  9. Nice photos, Jenn! I really must make a point of visiting Loverna one day. Those little churches alone would make it worth the trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, I have also seen photos of a 3rd church there, on private property and not in as good condition as these 2.

      Delete
  10. The Loverna Grain Elevator has been on my to-do list for some time now. Nice photo of it. Haven't found the time. Yet. And it comes with an old-school snow blower truck. That I need to see!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just had a very old pocket watch passed on to me which was sold by a jeweller in Loverna, Sask. - now I know if I pass through there, there’s a marker to show where the store was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool!!! Nice piece of history.

      Delete