Sunday, November 5, 2017

Memories of the Family Farm


In September I had the privilege of accompanying a friend to the farm where her grandparents lived near the ghost town of Bulwark, AB. I'd been hearing about how I'd really like it there and was happy that an afternoon came together when we could take a road trip. It makes the day of every back road explorer to have permission to explore an abandoned farm. I say 'abandoned' but someone does still own these places, so no trespassing!

No one lives on the farm now, except for a couple of owls who have been spotted on the homestead and also in nearby Bulwark. I happen to think owls are fascinating and mysterious. I think seeing those owls was a good sign.

The farm has 3 houses, a beautiful barn and several outbuildings. One of the houses was lived in more recently than the original old farmhouse and other smaller house. One of my favourite things about old houses are the lightning rods, notice them on the house and barn. I suppose when they were installed they were the tallest points on the property, now the trees are taller.

Looking back I wish I'd taken more photos to capture the beauty and layout of the farm better.







I also wanted to include another shot of the old Pioneer elevator from Bulwark which resides on a nearby (occupied) farm belonging to another member of the same family.




I grew up in a big city, so rural places are interesting to me. I love hearing stories of homesteaders and pioneers. My maternal grandparents both grew up in southern Saskatchewan. My paternal grandparents were born in Japan. I have 2 very different histories in my family.

Where were you born? Do you prefer city or country life?

Photos taken September 4, 2017.


12 comments:

  1. Imagine the work which went into those dwellings and around them. They stand proudly, as they should! Great series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenn :) That barn is beautiful despite the damage. That lonely little bench makes me sad for some reason! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rain! I felt the same way about that bench. It looks like it was the perfect spot to sit under the shade of the big tree.

      Delete
  3. Great photos and interesting history! I was born and grew up in a small one-horse prairie town (pop 1725) but both sets of grandparents were farmers. I have loved big city life ever since I was 18.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra. I was born and raised in Calgary and I miss it. Where I live now has about 14,000 so it's not tiny but it's different!!

      Delete
  4. What a nice looking farm. The people must have worked very hard back in the days when they lived there. I love the b&w photo, it is a very striking image. I grew up outside of Boston but have moved around through the years. Portland, Oregon, Fairbanks, Alaska, Niagara Falls,NY, Brunswick, Maine and now Ireland. Moville has a population around 1500. My wife and I love the small town living. I like cities too but home for us is in rural Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill! Every place you've lived is a place I'd like to visit, especially Alaska. We are planning a trip to Niagara Falls next year.

      Delete
  5. Short and simple here...in LOVE! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris! I was thinking a drone would have been cool at this location! Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  6. I grew up on a small farm in southeast Saskatchewan near a town of about 500 people. My grandparents were from Sweden (dad) and Ukraine (mom). I can tell you first hand that the farm shown here was LOTS of work. Now I live in a city with a population of 60,000 but within forty-five minutes I can be at Red Rock Coulee or in the Cypress Hills. Being able to get away to the country is important to me. They say you can take the boy out of the country but you can't take the country out of the boy; that's true in my case. Thank you for another great post, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael! I loved living in Calgary and also, like you said, how within an hour any way from the city and you can be in some amazing places! I'm in Sylvan Lake now and like the central location.

      Delete