This beauty is called Fertile Forest. It was listed on the Alberta Register of Historic Places in 1993. It's one of the typical styles of one room schoolhouses but the special thing about it, is that it exists in it's original location. In 1980, with the help of a government grant and many volunteers, it received extensive renovations.
Tales from the early days of the school speak of it being very cold in the winter with the kids huddling around the pot bellied stove and eating frozen lunches. It wasn't until 1939 when a basement and a new heating system were added to the school. Fertile Forest operated from 1915-1954, it was then purchased for $350 to be used as community centre.
It suffered substantial damage in 2015 from a hail storm. The paint was stripped off the exterior and the windows were smashed, allowing hail to get inside damaging the interior. Once again she was fixed up and looks darn good for a 100 year old building.
|Fertile Forest in 1991 (photo from www.culturetourism.alberta.ca)|
Have a good weekend everyone!