Monday, May 29, 2017

That's a Wrap! Part 2: Western Town


Go ahead, make my day...and join me in Western Town. This is part 2 of my excursion to a western movie set south of Calgary, with Chris and Connie of Team BigDoer. If you missed Part 1: Outlaw Camp, view it here, pardner. I can't promise that there won't be more cheesy western idioms in your near future so saddle up...

Western Town had the most buildings to explore of the 3 sets. It also has stunning Rocky Mountain vistas to the west and is bordered by the Highwood River to the south and surrounded by foothills.

Dead Horse
There was all the usual buildings that you'd expect in a western/frontier/boomtown. I discovered buildings used as a general store, church, police, post office, newspaper, hotel, restaurant, barber, freight office and a rail line. You need only go to once place for your mail and shipping, haircuts or having teeth pulled. Talk about convenience! The hotel had a sign above the door that read 'Dead Horse'. I think that's as good of a name as any for this western town.

What I found neat here was that a couple of the buildings had 2 different uses, for example, one end looked like a church the other end looked like a general store. Then boom! TV magic happens and no one ever knows. There was also a building here that was not a set, it was an old building moved here. It looked to me like it was an old schoolhouse originally. Made the town that much more authentic looking.



Next stop: Dead Horse
A did have a scary encounter with a current resident of Dead Horse, a killer pigeon flew out of a door I had opened and scared the bejesus out of me. I screamed pretty loud. Not my finest moment, but I didn't let it get me down. I went back out, guns blazing, and got the job done. I wish I had taken more interior photos but I am drawn to the clouds and scenery with the buildings so most of my photos are outside.

I spent a lot of time wandering around Dead Horse, most of the buildings were open and I was able to check out the insides as well, this is different than my usual exploring trips where I can't enter most of the places. It almost felt wrong! I tried to imagine these places full of furniture and people, horses tied to the posts outside, wagons going down the street and townspeople going about their business. I could just about see and hear Dead Horse bustling with life, horses galloping into town, sounds of boot heels on the wooden boardwalks, a train whistle in the distance and the lively sounds of the up tempo piano music from the saloon. Grab a whisky and enjoy Dead Horse.

Business in the front, church in the back.

Actual old building now used as a set

Dead Horse Hotel

Police Detachment



Fancy Drinks!

Shipping & Freight

Mail...Barber!







Thanks again to the Big Doer team, Chris & Connie.

Extra extra! Part 3 (and final part) of this series will be coming soon! Thanks for stopping by, now don't miss the last train out of Dead Horse.


8 comments:

  1. Neat experience and a great setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post, Jenn. Looks and sounds like you had a good time in Western Town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I sure did!! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. That place is fascinating. I could spend hours poking about through those buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki! I could've too! The only thing stopping us was it was almost sundown and we had one more set to explore!

      Delete
  4. Great photoshoot ! Just to let you know it is the Highwood River to the south not the Sheep River.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made the correction, thank you for pointing that out and for visiting. :)

      Delete