Friday, April 28, 2017

Goin' Old School near Donalda


Science Mound School
No trip of mine would be complete without finding an old school or 3.  Fortunately the Donalda area has many old schools as well as old houses and buildings down just about any gravel road you take. This area never disappoints. The only thing that I couldn't control was the weather....had to cut the trip short but still satisfied with the things I did get to see when I wasn't blinded by snow all up in my grill.

This wins my favourite school of the day. It is called Science Mound. It was reportedly named after a nearby hill, but I couldn't see a hill anywhere I looked. The school operated from 1905-1954, then it was sold to the Science Mound Community Club in 1956. It was used into the 90's, by my friend Tim's recollection, which is also around the time it got the new red roof. You can see there was a vestibule on the front at one time. Now the paint is peeling, the wood has holes and the rock foundation needs some TLC. Sadly, I don't imagine that any work will be done on this old timer.


Science Mound

Spruce Coulee - still operating as a Community Centre

Ibsen - now privately owned 
There are other schools in the area that I have blogged about previously so I won't post them again but here are the links to them in case you need to see more schools! Up To Date School,  Skybo School and Wanda School.

Also on the way home I stopped by to see my old friend Rutherford. It was summer last time I drove by so here is a current photo.



Thanks again to Tim for being my exploring buddy! Next blog post will be abandoned houses in the Donalda area.  Ooooh ahhh!

Thanks for visiting my blog and have a great weekend.



11 comments:

  1. Jenn strikes again. I will have to find some schools to post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which one? I am on my way lol. Go visit Charles School.

      Delete
  2. Science Mound is hands down the best name EVER! Absolutely hated going to school as a kid, but strangely love them as a subject for photography today. Funny how things happen that way. Fabulous piece! Tim's been a great host to us when we've visited the area a couple years back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nearby and just as great is Up To Date School. I couldn't ever find why it was named that! It is funny how things happen, thanks for the visit Chris!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for that, Chris.I look forward to maybe doing it again someday.

      Delete
  3. Nice post! Rutherford School looks like my kind of place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a neat looking School, turned community centre now unused.

      Delete
  4. It was my pleasure to show you around the area Jenn, if only the weather had cooperated. Any time you want to come back for another day of exploring, I'm always game. There's lots more to show you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. took our pre wedding pictures there in early spring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At Science Mound? That would be a great place for photos! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete